CANADIAN-OWNED PATENA LURES ANOTHER OWNER.
Stakes winner PATENA, a solid Kentucky Derby contender owned by Hill 'n' Dale Farms of John and Glenn Sikura and Domenic Dilalla, has been purchased, in part, by IEAH (of Big Brown fame) and wil l be sent to RICK DUTROW JR. in Florida.
IEAH bought 70% of the colt with the remaining 30% divided amongst the Sikura and Dilalla. Dilalla is the manager and owner of the Centennial Farms Niagara Stable in Niagara Falls, Ontario.
Patena, 2nd in the Lecomte Stakes recently at Fair Grounds and winner of the Display Stakes at Woodbine, is by Seking the Gold out of the Hill 'n' Dale mare Handpainted, a stakes winner from the family of WITH APPROVAL etc.
The purchase price for 70% of the colt was between $1.5 and $1.8 million.
He was trained successfully by Woodbine's JOSIE CARROLL up until today.
DANCE BABY! John Brnjas' Amy's Falcon produced a Dance to Destiny filly on January 15 and will be brede back to Marcavelly. Dance to Destiny had a promising first crop in 2008.
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS
The NTRA/DRF Handicapping Championship starts this weekend in Las Vegas.
Dozens of tracks are involved during the year to give fans a chanc to win money prizes and earn a spot in this big tournament.
From last year's Woodbine contest in August, Tony Natale, John Wolfe and Jack DiCenso were the three Toronto winners of a spot in the championship.
The entire lists of qualifiers are here:
and watch TWINSPIRES.COM'S JILL BYRNE report (all wekend long!):
Ontario bred SNOW DELICIOUS won an allowance race at FAIR GROUNDS yesterday (non-winners of 1 other than) at 12 to 1 for Edward Johnston and Joe Rink. The Maria's Mon - falling Snow, Deputy Minster filly was bred by Sean Fitzhenry and she is a 4yo who raced at Woodbine for claiming in 2008.
She won $26,400 (US) for the score.
DUBAI RACING CARNIVAL DAY 2
BIG CITY MAN, sprint winner
DESERT PARTY romps, DERBY HOPES?
DESERT PARTY (photo at right from BUDMISTER 26.2 at www.flckr.com), winner of the Sanford Stakes last year at Saratoga, won his 3yo debut in Dubai yesterday in a $50,000 conditioned race at 7 furlongs.
The Street Cry-Sage Cat, Tabasco Cat colt is owned by Godolphin.
Here's some more news from Day 2 at the Carnival.
EXCERPT from THOROUGHBREDNEWS.CO.NZ
Big Man in the City
Dubai Racing Club
Thursday’s second meeting of the 2009 Dubai International Racing Carnival, kindly sponsored by Al Tayer Motors, featured the Group III 1200m Al Shindagha Sprint on the dirt.
It was won in style by the Jerry Barton-trained Big City Man who showed acceleration that the sponsors would have been proud of in one of their Ferraris!
Never far off the pace, he went to the front at halfway and quickened clear 200m later.
He was never likely to be caught under Jose Verenzuela and Barton was delighted: “That was a very pleasing effort and we will look at the Dubai Golden Shaheen on Dubai World Cup night after the Mahab Al Shimaal on Super Thursday.”
Godolphin enjoyed a memorable double with Alexandros sealing the brace in the concluding 1600m turf handicap, the Al Tayer Motors 1600.
Frankie Dettori was in the saddle as he had been earlier when Desert Party landed the Ford Flex Trophy, a 1400m conditions race on dirt.
Restricted to three-year-olds, it has proven a reliable source of UAE 2000 Guineas winners in the past and that will be this colt’s next assignment according to trainer Saeed Bin Suroor: “The UAE  Guineas is the obvious target and he is a horse we like a lot with some very good form in the States.
Harlequin Ranches' BLUE EXIT, a promising Pulpit colt out of Black Speck by Arch, won an allowance race by 3 lengths yesterday at 1 1/16 miles on the Pro-Ride surface. Harlequin co-owns with James Hill and Blue Exit Partnership.
He paid $7.60 and is trained by Jerry Hollendorfer. The 4yo is a Kentucky bred.
The A.P. Indy filly ASBEAUTIFULASYOU,an Irish bred, won her maiden by 20 1/4 lengths at Laurel yesterday for Mr. and Mrs. John Magnier and Michael Tabor. The filly had raced twice before and was adding blinkers yesterday for the 1 mile maiden allowance.
SEEKING THE BEST's FIRST FOAL... was erroneously reported yesterday. It was not the Jason Allison bred but instead a Hill 'n' Dale Farms, Aurora, Ontario, colt foaled on Jan. 14 out of Stormy Starlet. The stallion stands in Kentucky at Hill 'n' Dale.