ascot aug08
This is a single article. Click HERE to go to the main page.

Monday, June 23, 2008

MORE BOURBON, PLEASE


BOURBON AND BREW...
TOP PHOTOGRAPHERS NAIL SHOT - www.horse-races.net at THE PLATE...




BOURBON IS SWEET - 92 Beyer Figure

and 8 PLATES for remarkable Roger Attfield


"It is not an easy race to win."



That is what Hall of Famer ROGER ATTFIELD said after Not Bourbon became the trainer's 8th QUEEN'S PLATE WINNER since he started training in Canada 36 years ago.
Well, it may not be an easy race to win and it was 13 years since his last Plate win but what a masterpiece Attfield created with NOT BOURBON.

From a 6 furlong track record setter to a Plate winner and the hombred Not Impossible colt could go on to bigger and better things too.

Not Bourbon is also a Charles Fipke (PHOTO - in the middle of Jono Jones and Roger) masterpiece. He's by the deceased sire Not Impossible (colic, three years ago) and out of millionaire Bourbon Belle, a breeding planned by Fipke.

This is a colt who, along with GINGER BREW, stood out over the field. They ran to their "numbers" (the only two in the race with 90 Beyer Figures).

In addition to some of the stories written about the race (I will link some below) here are some highlights (and some lowlights):

Well, the Canadian Auto Workers brought busloads of people who can only be viewed as thugs (see Bev Smith's link below) - some of the stuff that went on at Woodbine from 7 a.m. until mid afternoon was shocking.

The labor dispute between Ontario Lottery and Gaming security guards and the OLG has been going on for more than 3 weeks and yesterday it reached new heights.

Entrances to Woodbine were stacked up with picketers and 75, 80 and sometimes over 100 cars were in lines trying to get in.
Other folks parked at the Woodbine Centre and walked across the street.

But frustrated racing lovers paid the price not just with hour-long waits but some received bricks through windows.

Even Roger Attfield received a ticket! (see Dave Perkins below).

But one look at the stands and you knew not many people were kept away from the track - the crowd was big and loud.

(Speaking of big and loud, Woodbine went a tad overboard with the sound yesterday, between race commentary and annoucements were so loud, people's ears surely were close to bleeding).

TWO HORSES passed away on the card - surely that will motivate people who watched and wagered on the race and work in the business to check out EBAY today and through the week to bid on the saddletowels of the Plate horses.

MIZ YAH BEAUX, owned by Richard Englander,broke down in race 2 for $30,000 fillies and mares. Trainer Scott Fairlie has been having a good meeting but losing that mare has to hurt.

Later, BRODERICK, collapsed and died after leading most of the way in the 10th race. The high priced maiden by Hold That Tiger was owned by Jim and Alice Sapara and trained by Josie Carroll.

THE STAR..

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/HorseRacing/article/447508

THE GLOBE..

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080622.WBglobesports20080622133150/WBStory/WBglobesports




ASK ALEX
The Blood-Horse weekly feature TALKIN' HORSES (where you submit a question by email) has ALEX BROWN up nxt.
Brown worked at Woodbine currently for trainer Steve Asmussen and he is an anti-horse slaughter activist.
Send him a question at this link below:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/talkinhorses/AB062608.asp



LETTER TO THOROUGHBLOG


Maybe there's a trainer somewhere that could have done what Attfield did with Not Bourbon but I have my doubts. To see a pure sprinter turned into a high quality classics horse is so rare I can hardly think of another example. And he did it with old fashioned hard work,determination,experience- not drugs or bravado.His modesty after the race was an example for all to follow. It was a great Plate all around-terrific tv coverage once it started-and two top notch horses giving everything they had in a gritty last quarter.Congratulations to all involved but especially Roger Attfield.


COMMENT (that needed to be edited)


To Anon 6:30
... it's only "democracy" when things go your way (like when you can disrupt the lives of people who have nothing to do with your dispute), but it's "dictatorship" when, say, MIKE HARRIS was ***ELECTED BY THE MAJORITY OF THE PEOPLE, TWICE*** and gave y'all a much deserved ass-whupping.

The Tories get my vote next time just because of you. Then you'll get to feel DEMOCRACY in action. And until then I hope OLGC leaves you guys out forever. You deserve this fair and just punishment. One final offer. Take it or leave it. If you leave it, there's thousands of unemployed people out there who'd love to take it.

I think the fact that some 20,000+ people stood up to you and went into the track and filled those stands and enjoyed a day of racing rather than turned around and go home like you hoped, shows that you have no support. Something you'll conveniently ignore.

This was all a propaganda play by Hargrove. Yes I read the literature you passed out, where, sure enough you whine about the "loss of manufacturing jobs". OK, last time I checked, security guard is not a manufacturing job. Hargrove got beat up bad by GM in Oshawa (looks good on you, Buzz) and he decided to take it out on Woodbine and innocent people who might only come out to the track once a year and this was their day. You ruined it for them and you have lost ANY support they might have had for you before they arrived yesterday.

Many thanks to everybody who stood up to these thugs and bravely came out to Woodbine on Sunday. Horsemen and racing fans showed some "SOLIDARITY FOREVER" against the CAW.


NOTE: Sometimes comments get lost or I have not had time to read them all, if your comment does not appear it does not necessarily mean I refused to run it.

18 Comments:

  • At 11:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hahahah. seems to me Torries are the ones taking the ass-whuppings lately.

    Talk about Where are they now? haha

     
  • At 11:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You know. the easiest way to deal with these CAW thugs? Close down the slots at Woodbine. Put CAW and the OLGC out on it's ear. Simple, no more disruptions.

    hmmm, wonder if that will happen? Just think Horse People could have the place all to themselves again.

     
  • At 11:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am completely in agreement with your comments on the strikers, & the CAW, I assume we are lucky to avoid further violence while at the mercy of small minds !!

     
  • At 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    While a relatively new owner and breeder, I consider myself a sports fan and have been to many major league baseball games both in Toronto and elsewhere... but what CBC did to the coverage of the Queen's Plate is appalling.. a mid season nothing ball game upends coverage of Canada's premier horse race! What were they thinking? Good thing Dave Hodge wasn't the commentator:) The CBC obviously expected to broadcast and engaged some of their leading personalities Ron McLean and Elliot Freidman... why did they not break away.. or even cut out the meaningless post game coverage to get the Plate sooner? Given they were preempted, why would commentators put any effort into next year's broadcast. Should have let the Score do the broadcast.. at least there would be impression the race mattered Ron Campbell

     
  • At 4:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Very sorry to hear about Broderick and Miz Yah Beaux. I'd followed Miz Yah Beaux for some time. I didn't actually see her break down, but I'm glad I was spared that. My condolences to the connections for each horse. RIP to both.

    On a happier note, I am hugely impressed with both Not Bourbon and Ginger Brew. I think the future is bright for both. Also for Solitaire, who overcame a horrendous trip to get up for 3rd. And nice to see signs of life for Deputiformer again. I always hoped he'd run back to his regal breeding. Maybe he has turned a corner.

    This Plate was one of the most exciting in years.

     
  • At 5:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Jen,

    What's with all the censorship? Unless the writer is abusive, badgering, violent, threatening, etc, then why the censorship?

    I have been censored(actually ommited) because I voiced my opinions on this site in the past. I am a knowledgable horseman and have been a multiple racehorse owner. My opinions are not irrelevant and what I know about the game is extensive. I have never done anything that would resemble the above first paragraph faux pas', so why was I ommited.

    Here's the thing Jen, nobody asked you for this blog, but you took it upon yourself to put it out there anyways. You invited controversy as well as opinion. You have certainly proven that there is a market for this type of conversation and I believe that through this blog you have made many fans(I being one of them). I'm not so sure that I am one of them anymore due to the fact that you are either tired of the truths, or tired of your audience. If that's true then please let me know and I will pick-up the racing form for my horse info.

    I use to enjoy the insights from many of the writers. Not all of them but many. I didn't like being ommited(twice) because I expressed my opinions about WEG or anything affiliated with them. In any case, freedom of speech continues to be a constitutional right. Why not let the pens flow and censor the bad writers.

     
  • At 11:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Steve,

    You may have the credentials to post an educated opinion here, but the fact remains that this is Jen's private property, not the public street, so the freedom of speech argument does not apply.

    You can go out to the corner of Rexdale and 27 and voice your displeasure at the top of your lungs, but you cannot DEMAND that Jennifer publish your complaints in her private publication any more than you can demand same from the BloodHorse, the Daily Racing Form, or the Toronto Star.

    Try writing your complaints to Steve Crist and threaten "if you don't publish this in the DRF I'm cancelling my subscription". Because that's exactly what you're doing here.

     
  • At 6:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Anon 12:05. just to clear things up a little. I agree the CBC broadcast was terrible. However, you can't blame them for sticking with the ball game. Mid-season "nothing game" or play-off game. They have contracts they have to honor.

    I promise they were not picking on horse racing. It would have happened no matter what followed the Jays broadcast. Simple fact is. The Queens Plate is a 1 off for CBC where as the Jays fill air time all season long. Advertisers and such pay good money to be part of those broadasts.

    I would imagine the people complaining about Sunday, were probably the same people cheering last year when NBC cut out of a Play-off hockey game to broadcast the Preakness Stakes. It happens all the time in broadcasting.

     
  • At 8:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Anon 11:33, if Woodbine closed down the slots, they would be running for Fort Erie purses.

    I hate unions btw.

    Steve, I agree with you. I think comments and criticisms are what blogs are all about.

    Anon 11:14, I think it is understood that comments here don't necessarily represent what Jen feels. The fact that you and Steve disagree on this issue, show that Jen can't possibly agree completely with both of you.

    I haven't had a comment censured on Steve Crist's blog yet. I think that as long as it is relevant and doesn't contain personal insults or vulgarity, comments should be posted, and Jen shouldn't be held responsible for what Steve says or what I say, or what anyone says.

     
  • At 9:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I just figured that would be the easiest way to solve everyone's problems..No Slots,No CAW, No OLGC = No more disruption.

    Come on. I hear everyday how great Woodbine is doing. Surely they don't need these petty disruptions anymore. My vote is to close down the Slots.

    Or an even less costly alternative. If the CAW has really been as big a problem as people here let on. WEG should go to court (i mean not allowing people to get to their horses? surely the courts would not stand for this),and get an injunction, and then...thats it.. no more pickets. I wonder why no one has thought of this yet?

     
  • At 9:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    or maybe we just need more torries!

     
  • At 11:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Cangamble, you said above "Jen shouldn't be held responsible for what Steve says or what I say, or what anyone says"

    I just don't think that this is the case. We all know that Jen writes, sets odds, etc... for some of the entities that you and Steve loathe so much - there might be repercussions that you, guys just might not be aware of...

     
  • At 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The comments here may not represent what Jen feels, any more than the letters printed in the DRF editorial page represent what Steve Crist feels. This still does not change the fact that neither Jen nor Steve Crist is OBLIGATED to publish every letter sent in.

    Whether Crist prints them or not on his blog or in the DRF, that is his decision. What Jen does in her privately owned space is her decision alone.

    Those who do not like how Jen runs her site are free to look elsewhere. I think she does a great job and I visit it daily just because she filters out the trolls and doesn't bore us with the same-old rants day in and day out like other blogs..

    Thank you Jen!

     
  • At 1:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    KG, I have yet to get any threat with respect to my blog. I've yet to be censured at Crist's blog or even Pace Advantage for telling the truth.
    I'm sure WEG hates when I tell the truth about their takeout, but I'm also sure they are big enough boys to be able to handle it.
    Are you suggesting that they are not?

    Anyone who holds Jen responsible for what I or anyone else says on this blog is a baby, and their opinion should be brushed aside as one of a babies.

     
  • At 3:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Cangamble, if I am not mistaken and correct me if I am but you do not work for those entities so even if you were to receive threats or repremands, it would not be an issue. I am just saying a little censoring on Jen's part as an act of self-preservation is not the end of the world.

    They might not be big enough boys and unable to handle some of the comments and therefore they may take the path of least resistence and pressure the blogger to censor...see where i am coming from on this??

    I read your blog sometimes - you make some good points but the groups that you and those that comment on your blog bash are not sending you a paycheck - correct...?

     
  • At 9:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    KG, I understand your point. And no, I don't get a pay check from WEG.
    I don't think that Jen is getting pressure from WEG, btw.
    That would be kind of dangerous for them to do.

     
  • At 7:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Whether what Cangamble or Steve writes is "the truth" or not, or whether or not Jen is taking any heat from WEG or anybody else, still does not change the fact that this is her private property and she can do as she wishes with it.

    Which brings up another question: If you know she won't post your rants, why are you wasting your time sending them in the first place?

     
  • At 8:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Anon 7:04, I've probably made close to 50-100 comments on this blog, and I've only had 1 or 2 not published.
    So Jen must at least respect what I say, whether she agrees or not, you'd have to ask her.

     

Post a Comment