ascot aug08
This is a single article. Click HERE to go to the main page.

Monday, January 22, 2007

Gerry and Spankey

Woodbine jock GERRY OLGUIN has already had a couple of winners at the tough Santa Anita meeting yesterday but could have added to that total yesterday on SPANKEY COME HOME. A $17,000 yearling purchase, Spankey was seemingly on his way to his maiden win over the heavily backed TIME SQUARED before he zoomed outwards off the last turn and drifted way out to the other side of the track. The colt won but was later disqualified. As for Time Squared (touted on these pages too!), he lost 2nd place to Tiago (little brother to Kentucky Derby winner GIACOMO, by Pleasant Tap), who was placed first.

ECLIPSE AWARDS night in California. As a voter, I have opinions on who should win. I voted for INVASOR for Horse of the Year and BARBARO for 3yo. I love Bernardini more than most but Barbaro gets extra points for his heart and desire to live.

No changes on the Canadian-bred Top Ten List this weekend but stayed tuned for some appearances by some good ones in weeks to come.

Champion 3yo colt/gelding SHILLELAGH SLEW is at Palm Meadows in Florida gearing up for his 4yo season following surgery last fall for a chip.

3 Comments:

  • At 1:50 PM, Blogger Kennedy said…

    Desire to live is part of your Eclipse consideration? ;)

     
  • At 2:00 PM, Blogger Jen Morrison said…

    Yep, heart in a racehorse is a big factor. Hey, I would not have been the only one who voted for Barbaro and I am comfortable with my decision although it was not an easy one. I had my biggest hit in the Preakness, betting Bernardini to win and having a big exactor.

     
  • At 2:23 PM, Blogger Kennedy said…

    Plenty of people will have voted for barbaro. I would hope most of them did it for his racing merits. "Desire to live" is a tricky thing as we have no indication that his desire to live is any greater than the horses he was up against for the award. After all they are still all alive and the so called desire isnt revealed unless they are actually facing death. I suppose my point is that Bernardini could have easily had the same "desire to live". We just dont know because he wasnt injured. Seems odd to give a horse an award based on that. I think Barbaro's best case to win stands with what he accomplished on the track.

     

Post a Comment